Went to the allotment today with OS. We are itching to get ready for the new season. It was soooo cold! OS complained his feet were frozen after half an hour, I really should have bought him some thermal socks for Christmas - not sure a 6 year old would have appreciated them though...
1.Dug a trench put ex wrapping paper in (mostly newspaper - we are nothing if not frugal!)
2. Added two buckets of kitchen waste, most of the liquid having tipped over the boot of my car during the journey, note to self; do not stack buckets in boot if corners are involved in journey.
3. Walked along trench to "firm"
4. Speculated that the police might visit us as it looked as though we had buried a body.
5. Speed planted 18 broad beans grown in pots at home.
6. Cloched said broad beans.
7. Hightailed home for hot chocolate and a biscuit as we had burnt off so many calories. OH and Mini were convinced we were bonkers.
I had plans to get the shallots in. I've missed the shortest day but not by much, but you know what they say about plans. Maybe tommorrow?
Now back to those seed catalogues.
Early summer harvest
9 months ago
Hi there and Welcome to the land of Allotment blogging. I started my blog back in November 08 and am now addicted, like you I have been reading other allotment/gardening blogs since before taking on my first ever allotment plot last February.ReplyDelete
I had a fantastic year, grew loads of veg and I am still harvesting even now. I have made some good friends and some close ones and have driven my family crazy with talk of my lottie.
My husband is now just coming around to maybe enjoying it, he always cut the grass for me but has now I noticed started to read my "Grow Your Own" mag and make comments on things he likes in it Yippee !!! he may get the passion yet.
Anyway enough of my ramblings, enjoy 2009 and happy sowing and growing.