Thursday 12 August 2010

Visit to Tyntesfield

On the way to the French ferry a couple of weeks ago we stopped off at Tyntesfield Estate near Bristol.
We had a game of football (obligatory OS's choice), climbed the scaffold tower to the roof (YS), visited the tea room (OH) and finally visited the kitchen garden (Me!).
They were selling homegrown fruit and veg but we weren't impressed with the prices!

The cutting garden was spectacular - this in no way does it justice.

They have more staff than I do.
Up the tower
Cute box in the shop

Where are the photos of the veg?
This was as close as I got - there is a fan pruned cherry in the background...
I think I was so busy admiring the straight rows and lack of weeds I must have forgotten to take one. My, but their onions were big - you'll just have to take my word for it!

We had a lovely time there is a lot of walking involved in the visit, the gardens are a long way from the car park etc but well worth it.  The guide even took the trouble to show the boys where the 10yo gardeners boy would have slept in a cupboard above the benches in the potting shed when it was his turn to keep the boiler going during the night. OS pronounced this "cool". If you are looking for a stop of the M5 this summer it's well worth a look.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those cuttings flowers look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good if I'm up that way I'll take a look round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a great day out...I think I would go just to but the box!!!!!

    I have to see of I can find one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely day out. The cutting garden looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete